Kyra Alexandria's UCSD Journal

A textual and visual record of my college journey

Latest Posts

Get You A Job in Social Justice

By 7:46 AM

"Get You A Job in Social Justice" ~Kyra Alexandria

I am a Social Justice Peer Educator in Programming for my campus' Women's Center. I was initially hype for this job because it meant that I'd be learning a lot. (I'm very much in love with the self-education aspect of activism. Many different terms and concepts related to ability and gender theory especially, are very new to me. I love reading about these concepts in detail.) Coming into the job, I was excited to work in a space dedicated to opening minds, and I was excited to begin with mine. But my job is helping challenge my activism. I'm now required to move past exploring gender theory, to breaking it down into more digestible parts for fellow community members to explore. It's a big jump for me: one that is both frightening and fun. Fun because I still get to research new* terminology and theories, and frightening because sharing the things I learn is important and special.            

Imma say this: if any of that spoke to you,  get you a job in social justice. Get you a job that helps us unlearn our prejudices and learn what our life could really be. I couldn't be more thrilled about getting paid to change the world-one mind at a time. 

*The theories and terminology that I explore are new TO ME, not necessarily in the scheme of Social justice work, or life.

Thanks for reading! Best of luck!
XOX Kyra

You Might Also Like

0 comments